sunnuntai 17. huhtikuuta 2016

My Ocean Rug and Beluga Whale


My paintings and drawings often represent animals or some kind of human-animal hybrids. Through them I am, however, looking at social power structures. I am especially interested in different roles and interrelations between groups or flocks, as well as between individual members of them. The other motif I use frequently is architecture. For me buildings are also living beings.



Arctic Ocean, 2016, Acrylic and ink on an old carpet, 226 x 68 cm
 As you see, the Arctic Ocean is a portrait of a beluga whale. Some years ago I was in northern Norway. It was a cold and light Nordic summer evening, and I was walking along the fjord shore. Then, suddenly, I noticed how many white backs and heads rose from the waves and sank again. It was a huge pod of beluga whales slowly passing by. There were hundreds of them. It was an impressive view, like a strange ceremonial procession.

Mediterranean, 2016,
Acrylic and ink on an old carpet
59 x 85 cm




My Beluga whale visits in the exhibition Menagerie – Animals in the Art Zoo,

Toolbox, Berlin
 29.4. – 21.5.2016

The painting belongs to a series of portraits of sea animals, all from different seas. I call it Ocean Rug, because all of them are painteed on old plush carpets.
Here some of those:




Red Sea, 2016, Acrylic and ink on an old carpet, 138 x 69 cm

 

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti